Saturday, March 3, 2012

Paul Collins' Beat - The Kids Are the Same


I have nothing but contempt for the term Power Pop.  It's just stupid.  It's not very descriptive, and it sounds like some kind of second rate music that really doesn't need anyone to check into it more than a song or two.  Like it's all the same, so why bother?  But Paul Collins seems to embrace the term, and if he can be okay with it, then I guess I should, too.

I haven't had this all that long (in the grand scheme of things).  I like The Plimsouls, and I think Peter Case is pretty close to a National Treasure.  I've had the first album by The Beat for awhile, probably even before Alive Naturalsound Records rereleased the first EP by The Nerves.  When push comes to shove, I like that first album by The Beat more than this one, but On the Highway is on here, and for me, this was a long lost song that I only heard in my memory for a long, long, time.  Give the old memory some kudos,. it really remembered the song pretty well.  I guess it was a big MTV hit, but I didn't have cable until well into the 21st century.  I couldn't afford it, I guess. Either that or I felt better about blowing my money on music!

On the Highway is one of those moody songs that really works for me.  If I'm driving at night and I'm the only one awake (pretty common travel for my family), I can just zone out and cruise to this song.  It's the same with Televison's Marquee Moon.  I know On the Highway is kind of meant to be a car song, but it's just hypnotic to me.  I'm pretty sure it's one of my absolute favorite songs, and it's possible that it skews the whole album on the greatness scale for me.

But it's not a bad thing.  There's a ton of catchy, fun songs on here.  The title track is a nice blast of Rock N' Roll and not worrying about what's going on in the world, because the kids are the same everywhere, just leave them alone.  Sure, it's kind of a dumb idea, but it does kind of make me think that if the kids are the same everywhere, then what the fuck happens to them when they grow up?

I'm not gonna get all heavy like that, though.  This isn't my politics blog, it's just what I think about my records, primarily on one day, while I'm listening to it.  Besides, I don't know enough about politics to write about it.  I barely know enough about music.  But I know what I like.  And I like Paul Collins.  His voice is a little weak.  Maybe not so much weak as it is kind of limited.  But Paul knows his limitations and he has the attitude to make you pump your fist in the air and dance like there's no tomorrow with him and his killer band.

It's recorded for that big arena sound, but these songs would work in your backyard.  I don't know what was so damned important in 1981 that this couldn't be a big hit, other than maybe Paul didn't have enough hair and didn't wear a stupid wig (thanks by the way, Paul).  The back cover picture of the band is one of the best pictures of a Rock N' Roll band ever and there's nothing but catchy riffs and choruses.

There's nothing but Rock N' Roll goodness all over this record, and I'm glad I finally found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment